Alright, the first test of the year is coming up on Friday, August 20.
The following material will possibly be covered on the test:
1) Unit conversions
2) Atomic Theory
- Describe or label a cathode ray tube (not a TV, but the tube which Crookes used for his experiments).
- State how and why Thomson proved the existance of negatively charged particles (essay)
- List the three subatomic particles and describe the location and charge of each.
- Describe Thomson's model
- State why Rutherford was able to prove that positively charged particles were not scattered throughout an atom.
- Define
* nucleus
* Bohr model
* atomic number
* radioactive decay
My tests will have a few multiple choice questions but are mostly short answer, labeling and essay. Please comment if you have any questions. I will post in the comment section anything that I think will help you in your review. Blessings, and honor God.
so every test that i take in your class will be short answer
ReplyDeleteare u gonna have more multiple chorce or matching or just right it out
ReplyDeleteWill you post the power point for this section? I think it would be very helpful(at least for me)
ReplyDeletehow long does the essay have to be???
ReplyDeletePaul, it needs to be 4-6 sentences. Check this page out for a demo of a cathode ray tube. The video at the bottom rocks! http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/clcwebsite/cathode.html#
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to cut and paste the link for the PPT into your browser address bar. Enter the letters on the captcha and wait 45 sec. for the free download link to appear.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=QPBQUF0P
Have fun!
Will our test be on the notes we have taken?
ReplyDeleteumm is the Rutherford Alpha Particles experiment wat the SA is on or is it just JJ thomson's "ray/magnet that makes light bend"Reed
ReplyDeletei thought that w/ atomic #s that the number on it is the amt. of protons and that its equal w/ the amt of neutrons, not electrons(as my notes say!)reed
ReplyDeleteWhen you said, "Unit Conversations" were you refering to the side notes we talked about in class that weren't listed in your powerpoint? For example when you drew out the diagram of the Rutherford Bohr Model or the "Plum Pudding" Model?
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Kayla H.
I lied in my last post... Just saying. I figured out it was UNIT CONVERSIONS :)
ReplyDeleteNevermind then!
Atomic # is the number of protons. Atomic mass is the number of protons and neutrons. Those numbers do NOT have to be equal.
ReplyDeleteReed, you need to know about both Rutherford's and Thomson's experiments. I can't tell you which will be on the test. You'll know today. :)
ReplyDeleteSydney, yes, the test will be on the notes.
ReplyDeleteMr. Barr,
ReplyDeleteWhen can we expect the grades from the test to be posted?
Thanks,
Lisa D.
I'm grading them now as I've been sick over the weekend. The results have not been positive so far, so I am going to have them make corrections and see how it turns out.
ReplyDeleteThanks. Sorry you have not been feeling well.
ReplyDelete